Friday 29 August 2014

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR! A short story by Ann Wilson




This story is unfinished, still in progress, any comments appreciated!  



BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR!


Sometimes what you wish for isn't always the best thing for you, but of course, I had to learn this the hard way..

I had woken up after the long operation, feeling groggy, which was to be expected. The consultant had come to see me, explaining that the pancreatic cancer that had eventually raged through my whole body, was gone and that I was a new woman, completely cured. Apparently I was a PHENOMENON!

After a few days I started to feel better and felt quite ecstatic. I could start living again as I was only forty and raring to go! The doctors had warned me that it would be difficult for me, given the circumstances, but I wasn't really listening,

They insisted I see the “shrink” and I reluctantly agreed. She explained the situation, but I was on such a high, it didn't sink in at all.

"“Look"  I said “" I just want to see my kids"

“"Well, they're not exactly kids now, are they Mrs Danson, you must realize this?"

Her words at the time just went over the top of my head; as I said, I was on a high and nothing at that time could change my mood.

The docs had warned me that the press would be clamouring for my story and this could be a real problem for me and the family. I just brushed their concerns aside at the time, thinking I could cope with anything. I felt so well, I was invincible!


After a few days the decision was made to let me see my kids. My consultant Mr De Sousa, had given the go-ahead after much deliberation with his other colleagues.

The two elderly gents, probably in their seventies, I reckoned, stood by my bed staring at me. At the time I was sitting in one of the chairs. I thought they looked a bit freaked out and with good reason. I was too.

These were my sons.


I was the only survivor in the cryogenic ward Nobody else had survived the operations. It was my choice at the time to be part of this experiment. I had lain frozen for over 60 years until they had found a cure for the awful type of cancer that I had suffered from. Apparently I had grandchildren older than myself. It's very hard to get your head around this sort of information. I'm regarded by most people as a freak, a Frankenstein's monster!

"My boys" could not cope with it, so I don't see them. I don't blame them.  I've never met my grandchildren. I'm told they don't want to know, as it would be too hard for them and probably make them go crazy, A grandmother younger than themselves is hard to take!


I've had to change my name and move abroad to try and start a new life, as the constant hounding by the press was driving me mad. I feel so let down and rejected.

I wish I could turn back the clock. Living like this, in this strange unfamiliar world, is absolute hell, with its high tech gadgets that I can't get my head around. 

It's so hard to make new friends when you have to invent a whole new past.

Be careful what you wish for!

. .




No comments:

Post a Comment